Janet Louise Daley
A graduate of Georgetown University Law Center, attorney Janet Louise Daley served as a federal law clerk in the Eastern District of Louisiana for the Honorable Stanwood Duval Jr. from 1994 to his retirement in 2017. In that capacity, she drafted numerous opinions with respect to the motion practice before Judge Duval, as well as Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law in non-jury cases. In addition, she was responsible for drafting jury charges for trials. The caseload included maritime/admiralty cases, large scale insurance coverage disputes, commercial litigation, employment law (Title VII, ADEA, ADA Civil Rights), products liability, and Federal Torts Claim Act litigation. In addition, Janet assisted in mediating a number of suits pending before Judge Duval. As such, she brings her expertise in written legal persuasion to the firm. She also clerked for the Honorable George Arceneaux, Jr. and the Honorable Lansing Mitchell. She was named by New Orleans Magazine a 2013 Top Female Achiever for her activities which have included service on the Board of Directors of the Federal Bar Association, president of the Tennessee Williams/New Orleans Literary Festival, a member of the Board of Governors of Le Petit Théâtre du Vieux Carré, She was a founding member of the Young Leadership Counsel and is a sustaining member of the Junior League of New Orleans.
- Louisiana Bar, 1984
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- Georgetown University Law Center, JD/MSFS 1984
- Georgetown University, B.S. in Foreign Service 1980
Litigation and Writing Experience
- Oversaw all of the consolidated litigation arising out of the damage caused in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 In re Katrina Canal Breaches Litigation, C.A. No. 05-4182 .
- Co-Authored with Judge Duval, The Discretionary Function: License to Kill?: The Federal Tort Claims Act and Hurricane Katrina, 62 Loy.L.Rev. 299(2016).
- Assisted Judge Duval in drafting the Admiralty chapter of the Fifth Circuit Pattern Civil Jury Instructions (2014). Also assisted in mediating the resolution of a number of suits pending before Judge Duval.
- Edited The Making of International Monetary Policy, International Law Institute, Washington D.C. (1984).
- Assisted in editing Interface II: Conference Proceedings on the Legal Framework of East-West Trade, International Law Institute, Washington, D.C. 1982.
Areas of Practice
- Legal Writing
- Litigation Strategy for complex cases in federal court